Sunday, November 1, 2009

What's up with Peter's face?

*Gasp* a post about my novel? Are you all about to faint from the shock? That I'm writing a post about my characters? Long story short, I have a major character named Peter. And I'm drawing my characters so I can get a feel for what they look like. OR NOT.... I was leafing through my drawings tonight (when I should have been working on a reflection essay, but tha'll be done tomorrow, cuz it isn't due until wednesday...) But anyway. Look at these pics of "Peter..." and see for yourself how fishy it is!
So I can draw profiles, easy peasy. They turn out fairly nice... this pic pretty much shows what I've made out this character to be like from the side.
....But look what happens when I try to draw from the front! Here's one drawing of Petey... (quite cropped because there is Very Distracting others around him... "Matt" is giving him bunny ears, hence another need for the crop =P ) And this is all fine and well, (well I don't like his expession) until you get to the next drawing....

...where, suddenly, he is a totally different person! Oh-so-different face! (Yes, cropped too; obviously my characters stick together as if they are Harry/Hermione/Ron.) But if I hadn't told you, would you know it was the same kid?




...And then this. Excuse blurry-ness of picture (the original is pretty smudged anyway) and Peter's weird, mushy expression (which is Classified Infomation) but look! He's even more different from the first two!
And waaaaaaay different from his profile in all circumstances.
But do scroll back up (after reading this!) and notice that in each of the three frontal-faced pictures (especially the first two), his face shape is almost the same. So is it his eyes? It seems like I've done them differently each and every time. Or maybe it's that he has a different expression in each pic!
And the worst part is I don't know which to use! The first one looks like he's *kinda* an anime character, but he looks too guarded and old in the second, and in the third, too mushy and weird! I don't think any of them work. (FYI he's a highschool freshman and a little cocky when I write the book. Book characters must Look Their Part!) Should I just try to 'invent' another version of Peter?
=\

4 comments:

  1. Okay 1st of all why don't you tell me any of this? Highschool freshman and cocky! Oh yeah and the first pic does look kinda anime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope X-1 doesn't kill me for using his account...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "weird, mushy expression????" :0 I knew it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the "gaurded pic" the most. It looks cool.

    ReplyDelete