Monday, August 30, 2010

happier stuff

...cuz that previous post was really depressing.

Also: I know this isn't my best work.  I did it in like eight straight hours and just got bored.  So basically, Peter looks good and everyone else looks a little flat.  I think it's because Peter has a darker skin tone than anyone else, so his shading looks way more noticeable:

HL's skin has just as many tones as anyone else's, but his skin is so pale that you can just barely see his shading: (ignore Leah and Lex, who both look pretty flat)

A few words on what HL looks like right now.  You're probably wondering "what happened?!?" 

Uh, that's a pretty good question.  We know all about HL, of course, and you're going... but casey, he looks ugly and NOTHING like HL! 

Yeaaaaah.  I know all about that, and I can tell you with absolute truth that he has NOT become all weird-looking in the actual draft---it's just my picture.  I'm experimenting with new styles for Goth Elf Boy, and this was one that didn't make it. 

The obvious is he looks too tired, too big cheeks, and just not old enough.  Less obvious is that his hair is coming down weird with a really unflattering cut, and he's not jazzed out enough for his character. 


On second thought, though, nobody really made it in this drawing:

I mean, if we go from right to left, Peter's looking annoyed (but that was on purpose) and there's a bit too much glow on his cheeks, Matt's looking younger, Leah looks not entirely there (and we all know that's my job to be out there, not hers), we've already gone over that HL looks weird, and Lex is really the only one who turned out halfway like herself, but her lineart and coloring are bad.

Luckily, I do have sketches of what they SHOULD look like, and Peter's shirt turned out awesome.


 Lots of GIMP practice, yes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment