Sunday, August 15, 2010

further thoughts on digitally coloring manga, including what might be an answer

You probably remember yesterday's post on the problems I was having digitally coloring my artwork.

I think I've solved it, with a little help.


So in case anybody else who's trying to digitally color with GIMP runs across my blog, let's go through what exactly I did wrong, and how we can fix it:


Note before we start: aren't you glad I chose a character pretty enough that we won't be sick of him yet?

1.  Okay, so my first, and greatest problem was the size of file I was trying to work with.  I was using a tiny 800x600 file, and it was too grainy to draw with to start.  I tried a much larger 2112x2816 file, and it worked so much better.  (I didn't take any photographic evidence, but trust me, it was great.)

2.  Second, I was using a 'paintbrush' application when I should have been using a pressure-sensitive 'ink' application to draw my lines.  In the drawing above, I have almost no variety in line weight.  

3.  As I said in my last post, my line weights were too thick.  This was a huge part of my problem, though not as much as the tiny file size.

4.  Also as said in my previous post, the skin shading was too detailed for the heavy line weight and the chunky hairstyle.  

Now that we've got that list over with, more on the hairstyle, while it is undeniably too chunky for the skin-shading style, it isn't as bad as I thought it was---it's just that awful thick line weight that I was forced to do because of my tiny file size!  

So really, long story short, I totally used a too-small file, and that caused most of my problems, as my dad pointed out to me.  

Incidentally, I should have been able to figure that out ages ago, because of an incident where my mom and aunt were going crazy trying to find a large-file size photo of our family all together. 

The good that came out of it was that I learned so so so much stuff along the way, which I wouldn't have found so soon if I had used a large file size from the beginning.

And didn't you just love meeting another character? 

No comments:

Post a Comment