Friday, May 7, 2010

fiction, specified

Eragon, by Christopher Paolini.  This book, for me, was encouraging because the author was so young when he wrote it, yet it turned out so good; you'd never know a fifteen-year-old wrote it.  Very impressive, though I'll admit it's a bit Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings with dragons.  But then, basically nothing is new anymore.  Brisngrr-the third book-was a bloodbath, however; way too much unnecessary details.  Human muscle called "meat?"  Really, Mr. Paolini?  And the weird cult in the first bit of the book wasn't justified, as it served no purpose, not even a fair bit of reflective thought for the main character.  But the first two books were brilliant--- especially the title of "Eldest"--- I was so curious to know why the book was called that I read it through.  And wasn't disappointed with the answer, either.
The Gallacher Girls series, by Ally Carter.  Brilliant idea by the author, but the writing wasn't terrific.  I really, really, really hate saying that about any book, but it just wasn't up there.  The idea was amazing, though, and I have to give the author a lot of credit for that.Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte.  It's a classic.  I started with the abridged version, then when I was in junior high I moved onto the Real Thing.  I must say, Rochester really, really annoys me.  But it just adds to the book, in some crazy way!  Charlotte really had something amazing in her, here.

 "Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?"

For some reason, the above was lost on my family, when I realated it with hysterical laughter.

Maybe it's just because it's classic, but still beautiful.
...and the below is really the only reason why you read this whole post, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment